Welcome back to What We’re Reading! Here, we’ll share some of the articles, novels and other media that we’re engaging with as we think about education, identity, social justice and more.
Have a tip or suggestion for something that should be on our list? Let us know at email@example.com. We’d also like to send a special shoutout to the community group AF Stand Out for their partnership in gathering this content. Do you know know someone who might be interested in getting regular LGBTQ+ updates or attending events? Reach out to StandOut@achievementfirst.org for more information.
- “A Federal Appeals Court Reached a Huge Decision for Transgender Rights.” From Vox.
- “Connecticut Bans Conversion Therapy for LGBT Youth.” From Psychology Today.
- “Drag Queen Story Hour Puts the Rainbow in Reading.” From The New York Times.
- “Where is the Asexual Representation in LGBTQ Pride?” From Popsugar.
- “Adorable Animated Film Offers Beautiful Story Of Two Boys Falling In Love.” From Huffington Post Queer Voices.
- Podcast: “Nancy.” In a recent episode (#10) the host gives a powerful explanation on what it means to her to be bisexual. From WNYC.
- “Your First Trans Friend: A Beginner’s Guide.” From Huffington Post Queer Voices.
- Video: “How to Be Queer at Prom.” From MTV.
Read on for upcoming events in our areas for Pride Month.
- Pride, Politics, and Pancakes with Senator Chris Murphy. Monday, 6/12. 7:30 – 9:00 a.m. Church of the Good Shepherd: 155 Wyllys St., Hartford.
- Author Talk and Book Signing: Queer There and Everywhere. Monday, 6/19. 6:30 p.m. Mitchell Library: 37 Harrison St., New Haven.
- Artist Talk: AIDS Art & Activism Today. Wednesday, 6/7. 6:30 p.m. Museum of the City of New York: 1220 Fifth Ave (at 103rd St.), Manhattan.
- Brooklyn Pride 5K, Festival, and Parade. Saturday, 6/10. Race starts at 10 a.m. Prospect Park, Brooklyn.
- NYC Pride March. Sunday, 6/25. Noon. Begins at 36th St. and 5th Avenue. Ends at Christopher and Greenwich Streets.
- Countdown to Pride Concert, Hosted by Mx. Bisexual 2017 Winner Tammy Laforest. Wednesday, 6/7. 8 p.m. – midnight. Dusk: 301 Harris Ave., Providence.
- Options Gay 5K. Sunday, 6/11. 10 a.m. Roger Williams Park, Providence.