About Achievement First
Achievement First serves more than 15,000 students in 41 schools in five communities across Connecticut, New York, and Rhode Island. All of our students come to us through blind lottery. The majority are Black, Latinx, and children from low-income families who will be the first in their families to graduate from college. The mission of Achievement First is to deliver on the promise of equal educational opportunity for all of America’s children. We know that every child—regardless of race, zip code, or economic status—deserves access to great schools. For more information about the Achievement First mission, model, our schools and team, please visit our website at www.achievementfirst.org.
About Team Systems & Data
Team Systems & Data provides Achievement First schools with systems, data and technology tools needed to deliver an exceptional experience for our students. In our data analysis and reporting work, we partner with teachers and leaders from across our network to create actionable data reports and promote strong data practices. We also analyze our data for patterns and insights to drive decision making at the network level and provide robust systems for school and teacher performance evaluations.
The Associate Director, Data Analysis leads a variety analysis and reporting efforts at Achievement First, ensuring that network leaders, regional superintendents, program teams and school staff (principals and deans) have access to the data that they need to improve instruction and student experience at Achievement First schools.
Responsibilities of the Associate Director, Data Analysis will include but are not limited to:
Data Analysis & Reporting
- Align AF’s data/analytics approach with organizational goals and
- Lead the development of new analyses, data reports, and reporting templates, ensuring high levels of accuracy and user acceptability.
- Lead the development and refinement of models of complex data ecosystems (e.g., student growth for TCP).
- In partnership with the data engineering team, design and refine systems to generate and automate complex analyses.
- Develop and design a variety of data presentation materials (such as decks, visualizations, and mock-ups) to interpret, capture, and convey key insights from data and help stakeholders put data to use in decision-making.
- Participate in all aspects of data debriefs across academy levels, including planning, input-gathering, drafting, revising and presenting
- Engage with network leaders (including C-level, VPs, and Regional Superintendents) and school staff (principals, deans) to understand needs for data in order to make strategic
- Using this information, design and develop reports, analyses, and presentations that meet stakeholder needs spanning a wide range of topic areas.
- Problem solve with network leaders on how to address data gaps to further organizational
- Develop deep content expertise to ensure that data work is contextually grounded, aligned with organizational stance, and takes research and sector-based knowledge into
- Partner with senior leadership to make decisions about key performance metrics and goal setting
Project Planning and Management
- Ensure that the team's priorities align with organizational
- Partner with stakeholder teams to plan the timing of key data collection events (e.g., assessments, surveys) and subsequent analysis and reporting
- Develop detailed project plans and manage all internal/external deadlines to ensure timely production of all assessment data deliverables.
- Assess ad-hoc data reporting needs and make decisions about how to allocate team time and resources to meet them.
People Development and Management
- Manage at least one analyst and provide ongoing guidance, coaching and support
- Plan and facilitate team meetings, in collaboration with manager and peers
- Provide technical training and guidance to reports, peers, and other team members
- Assist in onboarding, systems training, and knowledge transfer for first-year data analysts including occasional oversight and support for newly acquired workstreams
Skills and Characteristics
- 5+ years of experience relevant to this role (i.e., data analysis and reporting) is required.
- Further studies beyond the bachelor’s degree level in a relevant content area may be substituted for years of work experience. For example, a two-year master’s degree in a relevant discipline and 3 years of relevant work experience would qualify a candidate for this role.
- Advanced proficiency with the following is required
- SQL and querying relational databases
- SAS, R, Python or a different computer/statistical programming language
- ExcelCompetitive candidates will demonstrate strong content area knowledge with one or more of the following:
- Formative and summative assessments (e.g., state assessments, college board exams, NWEA MAP, STAR)
- Student academic growth models, including limitations and underlying assumptions
- Item Response Theory (IRT)
- Survey sampling methodologies
- Experience managing multiple stakeholders and priorities
- Strong project planning and project management skills
- Strong written and verbal communication skills; ability to articulate technical concepts to non- technical audiences
- Problem-solving skills with strong attention to detail
- Belief in the Achievement First mission and educational model
- Maturity, humility, sense of humor and “roll-up-my-sleeves” attitude
- You are vaccinated against COVID-19 (see more below for policy details).
Salary for this position is competitive and commensurate with experience. Additionally, Achievement First offers a comprehensive benefits package.
Apply by completing our online application form linked here.
Research shows that while men apply to jobs when they meet about 60% of job criteria, women and other marginalized groups tend to apply only when they check every box. So if you think you have what it takes, but you’re not sure that you check every box, we still want to hear from you.
Achievement First is an equal opportunity employer and an organization that values diversity. People from all diverse backgrounds are strongly encouraged to apply. You can learn more about diversity at Achievement First here: http://www.achievementfirst.org/about-us/diversity/ .
Achievement First requires vaccination against COVID-19 for all employees. Reasonable Accommodations based on a qualifying disability or sincerely held religious belief are being considered in accordance with applicable law. Click here to read our full policy.
Salary for this position is competitive and commensurate with experience. Additionally, Achievement First offers a comprehensive benefits package. Teachers receive funds for supplies and materials as well as a laptop computer.
Achievement First is an equal opportunity employer and an organization that values diversity. People from all diverse backgrounds are strongly encouraged to apply. Spanish language proficiency is a plus. You can learn more about diversity at Achievement First here: http://achievementfirst.org/about-us/diversity/